The Internet Systems Lab (ISL) at the University of Colorado, led by Dr. Sangtae Ha, is researching all things having to do with the Internet. Our research focuses on building and deploying theory-inspired practical systems that span multiple disciplines, including networks and distributed systems, network optimization, cloud and edge computing, Internet protocols and algorithms, mobile systems, wireless and cellular networks, and storage systems. The ISL is located at the engineering building (ECCR1B05) and is part of the Computer Systems Group at the University of Colorado Boulder.
This is Your President Speaking: Spoofing Alerts in 4G LTE Networks (Best Paper Award)
ACM MobiSys 2019.
G. Lee, J. Lee, J. Lee, Y. Im M. Hollingsworth, E. Wustrow, D. Grunwald, Sangtae Ha,
CASTLE over the Air: Distributed Scheduling for Cellular Data Transmissions
ACM MobiSyS 2019.
J. Lee, J. Lee, Y. Im, S. Sathyanarayana, P. Rahimzadeh, X. Zhang, M. Hollingsworth, C. Joe-Wong, D. Grunwald and S. Ha,
I Sent It: Where Does Slow Data Go to Wait?
Y. Im, P. Rahimzadeh, B. Shouse, S. Park, C. Joe-Wong, K. Lee and S. Ha,
ExLL: An Extremely Low-Latency Congestion Control for Mobile Cellular Networks
ACM CoNEXT 2018.
S. Park, J. Lee, J. Kim, J. Lee, S. Ha and K. Lee,
- Apr. 28, 2021: US Patent #10990435 “Virtual redundancy for active-standby cloud applications” has been granted.
- Mar 25, 2021: Our paper on Learning-based DVFS has been accepted to ACM MobiSys 2021.
- Mar 18, 2021: Our paper on securing the Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEAs) will appear at the Communications of the ACM (CACM) 2021.
- Feb 10, 2021: Using client inference in multipath TCP over multiple cellular networks has been accepted to IEEE Communications Magazine.
- Dec 11, 2020: Generating an efficient miss rate approximation for multi-tier caching has been accepted to USENIX FAST’21.
- Dec 10, 2020: Programmable DOCSIS 4.0 has been accepted to IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management (TNSM).
- Jun 9, 2020: Epileptic Seizure survey has been accepted at Frontiers in Neurology.
- May 29, 2020: Parisa successfully defended her Ph.D. dissertation titled “Network-Aware Resource Provisioning for Heterogeneous Applications”.
- May 14, 2020: Ibrahim successfully defended his Ph.D. dissertation titled “Demystifying the Rate Adaptation Algorithms in Internet Video Applications”.
- Mar. 31, 2020: P4EC has been accepted at HotEdge’20.
- Mar. 13, 2020: SPARCLE and FluidMem have been accepted at IEEE ICDCS 2020 (18% acceptance rate).
- Mar. 6, 2020: PERCEIVE has been accepted at ACM MobiSys 2020 (19.4% acceptance rate).
- Feb. 11, 2020: US Patent #10560389 “Method and Apparatus for Controlling Send Buffer of Transmission Control Protocol in Communication System” has been granted.
- Jan. 14, 2020: Our paper “This is Your President Speaking: Spoofing Alerts in 4G LTE Networks (MobiSys’19)” is selected as SIGMOBILE Research Highlights. Congratulations all!
- Jan. 14, 2020: US Patent #10536584 “System and Methods for Time Deferred Transmission of Mobile Data” has been granted.
- Sep. 17, 2019: US Patent #10417035 “Virtual redundancy for active-standby cloud applications” has been granted.
- Aug. 5, 2019: Youngbin joins UNIST Computer Science & Engineering as an Assistant Professor in August of this year.
- Jul. 19, 2019: Optimal Protocol Selection has been accepted to IEEE ICNP 2019 as a short paper (19.3% acceptance rate).
- Jul. 2, 2019: US Patent #10339822 “System and method for automated course individulization via learning behaviors and natural language processing” has been granted.
- Jun. 20, 2019: Presidential Alerts Are Not Secure. Our research shows that it is possible for a physically-proximate attacker to spoof Wireless Emergency Alerts, including Presidential alerts, AMBER alerts, and other imminent threat alerts to cell phones within range. This vulnerability is covered by different media outlets. [CU Boulder Today][BBC][CNET][Engadget][Gizmodo][TechCrunch][TechXplore][Digital Trends][Weather Channel][Daily Camera][Irvine Observer][Z6MAG][Help Net Security] and many more.
- Jun. 19, 2019: “This is Your President Speaking” received the Best Paper Award at ACM MobiSys’19.
- Mar. 29, 2019: ECHO accepted to IEEE ICDCS 2019 (19.6% acceptance rate).
- Mar. 4, 2019: CASTLE over the Air accepted at ACM Mobisys 2019 (40 out of 172 = 23.2% acceptance rate).
- Mar. 4, 2019: This is Your Present Speaking accepted at ACM Mobisys 2019 (40 out of 172 = 23.2% acceptance rate).
- Dec. 20, 2018: ELEMENT has been accepted to EuroSys 2019 (45 out of 207 = 21.7% acceptance rate). Congratulations! Youngbin and Parisa.
- Nov. 19, 2018: Our proposal on low latency streaming was recently awarded by Cisco Systems.
- Sep. 9, 2018: ExLL has been accepted to ACM CoNEXT 2018 (32 out of 185 = 17.3% acceptance rate). Congratulations! Jinsung and Jihoon.
- Aug. 1, 2018: CUBIC was recently adopted by Microsoft as the default TCP congestion control algorithms for Windows 10 and Windows 2019 for “improved performance on Windows 10 thanks to CUBIC” and “a faster and safer Internet” in 2018. CUBIC has already been adopted by Linux and Apple’s macOS/iOS.